Thursday, May 31, 2007

dystopia reflective essay #3

Before hearing other things that people said about the book, I had very different thinking. When I started reading I had no idea what was going on. I didn't understand that Montag was a firefighter who created fires, not put them out. I also didn't realize that reading books was illegal. Reading this book before I knew what was happening was confusing.

After some of the disscusions we had in class, I realized so many things. Before the class disscusion I thought that the way people lived in this book was normal. I thought this was the way the author thought the future would be. I mean, I know that books are still important, but it seems that technology is more important.

Thinking more about technology in this book it makes me think that we should cut down on the amount of technology and stop creating new technology. In the near future people will only be using tv's and computers to find out informations. I don't even think they'll be home phones, I think they'll only be cell phones.

The way that Bradbury described this world was that everyone pretended to be happy, but they weren't. The discussion made me take a deeper look and it made me realize that no one in the book was happy, besides Clarisse. The way the government was run turned the characters in the book into unhappy miserable people. You pointed out to me one day in class when I was using my cell phone that everyone uses cell phones for everything. Until you said that I didn't believe it. I also didn't see it. I didn't realize how technology obsessed and reliant everyone was, including me.

2 comments:

Miller said...

Katharine, you make an interesting point about technology. It is true that all around us is technology and it has become such a huge part of our life. But you also say "we should cut down on the amount of technology and stop creating new technology." Do you mean to say that no good can come from new technology? Is that what Bradbury is really saying? What is it about the technology that he finds a problem with? Consider a character like Montag's wife, who is obsessed with her telescreens and "family."

And it is interesting that we are using technology to talk to each other through this blog and comment, rather than doing it face to face in class. What would Bradbury think of that?

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Servidor, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://servidor-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.