Thursday, May 17, 2007

technology take over

There's not many things that I can relate to in this book, but there are some things. I know that some people like Mildred. They're obsessed with their electronics. You never see them without their iPod or cell phone. Some kids even bring their laptops to school. Mildred is the same way. She might have not had the technology that we have today, but she loves what she has. She has different types of technology.

Mildred lives with Montag, her husband, who's the main character of the book. She doesn't leave the house ever. She has a room called the "parlor" that she's in every day all day. She isn't aware of anything that goes on around her house. Mildred and Montag have invested in walls that are actually tv's. The entire wall is a tv. Montag and Mildred have spent thousands of dollars on these tv's which was a great investment for Mildred considering how much she uses them.

These tv's aren't regular tv's though. These tv's are special. You are able to see the person you're talking to, and you hear them. It's like the "video chatting" (on iMacs) back in the olden days. You spend all day talking to them, it's like communicating with your friends without ever seeing them in person. People who use these tv's use them everyday. They seem addicting. Mildred actually considers the people she talks to everyday her family. I'm not sure if she's ever seen them in real life, but i know they speak everyday and they are always "together".

Mildred doesn't realize what goes on around her because she loves the electronics she has. Her only focus is the new technology. One night in the beginning of the book Mildred overdoses. The next morning she's making breakfast with her "headphones" in her ears like nothing's wrong. Mildred didn't even kn0w that she had overdosed, nor did she want to believe it. She didn't even take out her "earphones" when Montag was trying to speak to her. Mildred had learned to read lips so she'd never have to take out her "earphones".

This book's really showing me how much our generation depends on technology. These days everyone's on their cell phone (clearly including me), and people are dependent solely on the computers. Without the computer, we can't find out anything. People read the newspapers still, but they're quickly fading. Soon there will not be that many newspapers around, and people will really always rely on the computers.

This world has changed so much since our parents have grown up. So much more technology has been founded, and since this book was written a long time ago, Ray Bradbury knew that there was going to be a huge change from his time to ours. This book makes me realize that no one isn't dependent on technology. Even I don't know where I'd be without my cell phone or my computer or let alone my tv. I don't watch a lot of tv, but I do watch a lot of movies. I would hate to live in a world where none of that exsisted, but I would also hate to live in a world where books didn't exsist. Books are a huge part of my life, and they should be a big part in everyone's life. This book should send a message to everyone that books should always be allowed, and should never be burned.

It's okay to have someone be smarter than you, not everyone has to be equal. Everyone should be treated equal, but not everyone should be the same. If everyone knew the same thing, you'd never learn anything new. It wouldn't be a good world to live in because there'd be no debates, no arguments that you learn from, no confrontation. That's what living and learning is about. If you don't live and learn, you're not living the right way.

4 comments:

Miller said...

Katharine: Excellent connection to our world here. It's ironic, I guess, that we are reading Fahrenheit 451 and talking about how technology can make us more distant from one another, and we are using it to broaden our connections to one another.

Do you think Bradbury would approve of us discussing the book through blogging and leaving comments? (He's still alive, by the way) Does technology separate us or bring us together? Or is there something missing because we are not talking to one another or interacting face to face?

Keep reading and thinking.

katharine said...

I don't know if I'm supposed to be responding, but...

I'm not sure how Bradbury would feel about us talking about his book through blogs. I'm sure that he uses the computer, because most people do. I think technology brings us together in different ways. I don't talk to people I don't know on the internet, but there's sites for people to discuss different things. Some aspects of the internet bring us together, and others don't. I think it would be weird to talk to someone I haven't met in person online. I wouldn't like it. I don't think it's right to talk to someone you don't know online because that could lead to dangerous things. Talking on the internet can be dangerous, but only if you use it for the wrong things.

Dominique said...

Kathy,
I think you brought up a good point that not everyone is equal, although every one should be treated equal. Not every one should be the same, and I agree with you on this. Also, you made a good connection to the book and our world today. People are too dependent on technology,like Mildred is. Too much technology seems to have harmful effects on people.
"Books are a huge part of my life". Ha.

George's Blog said...

Hi Katharine, George Dummar speaking. Just wanted to say what's up? And, I TOTALLY agree with your statement of how technology takes up a big part of our lives. I'll see you in Tracy's class today. Be sure to practice safe blogging! Much love.