Monday, May 28, 2007

further thoughs #2

As I was finishing up my reading today, I read some things that changed my mind about the book. Most of the things I read today shocked me. I'm started to realize that there's more to this book about the technology take over and the characters not being able to think for themselves, they're also shallow. They don't care about anyone else but themselves. One woman, Mrs. Phelps, has had three husbands, and says she wouldn't be upset if her husband dies in war. I didn't understand this part because I didn't know that there was a war going on in the book. Another thing that made me realize that the characters in this book don't think is because when Mildred suggested to talk about politics, the her friends said they only voted for a man because he was good looking. The women didn't understand why a short chubby man would ever be elected. In our soceity it's expected that candidates running for office, or even someone of importance is supposed to look nice, but they're not judged on it. Many of the candidates are not particularly good looking, but they always wear very nice clothes. Personally, it shouldn't matter how the candidate looks, it should be based on if they'll do a good job in office.

One other thing I don't understand about the book is if the characters aren't supposed to have children. When Montag asks Mrs. Phelps how her children are, she freaks out. She says "You know I haven't any! No one in his right mind, the good Lord knows, wouldn have children" (96). One lady, Mrs. Bowles, states that she has two children though. She also says that she had them by Caesarian Section (CAE section). I don't know if you're not allowed to have a child be born the normal way, I just think that no one wants to. Mrs. Phelps says in the book that it's not worth it. This world that Montag lives in is completely different than any other thing I've ever heard of.

No comments: